Sunday, September 6, 2015

Secrecy and Pressure

I haven't written anything here in a while because, well, I haven't wanted to. I'm in this limbo stage of treatment, where on one hand, I want to completely forget any of this ever happened to me, but on the other hand, I want to use it to my advantage to help other people. It's  really just fear settling in again. Fear that I'm not good enough to do anything amazing with my story. Fear that I might fail at it if I try. So, of course, hiding in a hole has seemed like a better idea. The reading of my essay was last Tuesday, and the night before, I suddenly really didn't want to go. I didn't want cancer to be my reality anymore. I'm just over it. It had started to almost feel like a distant memory, until having to read that story to a room full of strangers. That made it real again. I had to wake myself from my fantasy that I never had cancer, and remember why I wrote the essay in the first place. To help people. To raise awareness. To help me cope with one of the hardest parts of my treatment.

In many ways, I feel as though there's pressure, from other people, and especially myself, that I have to DO something or BE something amazing just because I had cancer. I have all of these ideas of things I want to do to try to make a difference, make an impact somehow, but I don't know how to do it. And I'm afraid of failure. When people find out you've had cancer, they expect to to live life in a much more gung-ho manner. They tell you, "You probably have so much more appreciation for life now!" Well, I appreciated my life before, too. There was pressure to celebrate the end of chemo, but I didn't much feel like having a party when my treatment is only about halfway over. Cancer has almost become a celebrity in its own right - actors and actresses have been coming out about their cancers, there's the Pink ribbon movement, months of the calendar dedicated to specific cancers - and part of the publication of famous people with cancer makes it seem as though everyone with cancer should be doing something BIG with their life, simply because they had cancer. It's part of why I wanted to keep my cancer a secret.

I also put pressure on myself. Because I still feel lost in life. I don't know what I'm doing, who or what I want to be, or where I'm going from here. So I know I put pressure on myself to try to be something amazing. To make an impact. To be important. I want to continue to inspire others, and if I could make a career out of that, that would be my ideal dream. But... that also means constantly facing my cancer. And I don't know if I'm strong enough to do that. I'm getting better at it, because the farther I get from the hardest parts of treatment, the easier it is to talk about. It almost doesn't feel real. Like, there's no way it was me who had surgery and went through chemo and radiation. But all I have to do is take my shirt and bra off, and I can see my port and my scar, and there are the physical reminders of just how real it's been.

I'm my harshest critic, I know, which is part of why I took a hiatus from writing in here. The truth of the matter is, everyone else's opinion of what I should be doing with my life is just that - an opinion. I don't have to follow it. If I wanted to forget this ever happened come next March, I can do just that. As for putting pressure on myself, I have taken up looking for silver linings again. I have a lot of great ideas that are worth attempting in order to make this a positive thing, for other people, and for myself. I think that talking about it will help me come to terms with it, and heal some more.

On a different note, I returned to work this past week after 2 months off, and it's going surprisingly well. The atmosphere has been different, and I've noticed significant changes from when I was working during chemo. My mind feels clearer, my hearing has improved, as well as my eyesight, and I'm generally in a better mood.

The downfall, however, is that my cancer is still a secret at my workplace. And the other night, some of my coworkers got into a conversation about cancer. This happens frequently, because, unfortunately, cancer touches everyone's lives somehow. But, this night, was really difficult for me. One of the girls was talking about her sister who had cervical cancer, and then had a recurrence even though she'd had a total hysterectomy. Keisha was baffled at how that could happen. I chimed in saying that it probably spread in her blood stream, and that if the cancer recurs before 5 years, it's still the same cancer. She then went on to say how it wasn't fair because her sister was a good person, she was healthy, she didn't deserve this..... All things I've heard people say to me. And then Nathalie chimed in saying something along the lines, "Could you just imagine being younger than that and going through cancer?" I had to turn my head because I had started crying. I desperately wanted to get up from my chair and run from the room, but it's like I was glued to that chair, unable to move.

Eventually, that conversation ended, but I know it's bound to come up again. And again. And again. I almost screamed, "I HAD CANCER! Can we stop talking about it now?" But, I didn't. I'll likely continue to keep quiet about my cancer at my job, simply because I'm still in training, and I don't want whatever health issues I may have impact how they perceive my ability to my job. I know that's probably crazy, considering I went through two surgeries and chemotherapy during training, and none of them knew, and I still had good performance.

Maybe one day soon, I'll feel comfortable enough revealing this secret to my coworkers. For now, though, I still need that degree of separation. As far as the pressure to be something amazing, well, hopefully I'll get over it, and start to be nicer to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment