Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Forgiveness

I wrote this to a friend the other day, and figured it was worth writing here, too.

"I can't even look in the mirror for too long because I don't recognize the reflection. I admire Harmony's ability to be thankful for her 'after cancer' body. I hate mine because all I can remember is the body that cancer took from me. And I know that it doesn't help that I feel like cancer took a lot of other things from me too - my state of mind, my body, some of my relationships, being happy, and the ability to find silver linings. I need to find a way to forgive cancer for taking those things from me."

The last line is the most important.

I need to find a way to forgive cancer, so I can move on and move forward with my life. But, I know that won't be easy, especially with such a long road of active treatment still ahead of me.

One of my new years resolutions was to be more forgiving, of myself, and of others. Cancer is no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment