Sunday, May 17, 2015

Tea time

This is becoming a little comical.

When I was researching side effects and what might help ease them, tea came up a lot. I was worried about being constantly nauseous, since I had read that was a side effect a lot of women struggled with. I stocked up on anti-nausea gum, bought saltine crackers to take with me wherever I went, and made sure I always had a water bottle with me. I bought a box of lemon ginger tea, since ginger is supposed to help with nausea. I felt prepared to tackle whatever side effects might come up during the course of treatment, or as prepared as I could be.

I guess other people had the same thing in mind as far as tea helping mitigate nausea. It started slowly - my mom's friend Kim who has also had breast cancer, sent me fresh lavender and mint to help with nausea and to help me sleep. My friend's Kim and Jeff gave me some tea (and wine, which I can't wait to drink when chemo is over) for christmas. Then I "came out" on Facebook, and I've gotten even more tea. I don't know where the concept came from, but it seems to be a trend, "oh, you're sick. here, have some tea!" All of my teas are stacked on my bookcase, and the stack keeps growing. The funniest part is that I haven't really had any nausea, so I haven't used any of the tea yet. And I'm a little afraid to, because I don't know if I like ginger. I'm supposed to drink at least 2 quarts (64 oz) of fluids a day, and it's really hard to do. I work really weird hours, and I don't sleep well, so I have to monitor when I stop drinking fluids so I don't wake up seven times a night to pee (that happens pretty often). So, I have been trying to drink tea in the mornings, especially since the weather has been gloomy, so tea seems like a good fit. I guess I should start opening up and trying some of these teas!

my tea collection:


it goes really well with my expanding mug collection (I think I might have a problem):


Thank you everyone for the tea! I hope it has cancer-ass-kicking powers. 

Countdown: 4 weeks - 29 days - until my last chemo! 


No comments:

Post a Comment